Friday, August 12, 2011

Homemade Butterscotch Chips

Yesterday I tried my hand at making my own butterscotch chips... or chunks.  I got this idea from heavenly homemakers again.  Next is trying her homemade chocolate chip recipe.  These taste great even though they don't taste incredibly butterscotchy to me.  I used Virgin coconut oil which tastes like coconuts cause that's what I had in the house and so they taste like butterscotch mixed with a light coconut flavor.  They still would work for many things.  In order to avoid the coconut taste, use coconut oil that has been expeller pressed.  I think that is correct.  Apparently, coconut oil is much better for you than butter.  The only reason I had some is because my mother-in-law had some and never used it and passed it on to me.  I've enjoyed experimenting with it.


As you can see in this photo... Zeke is throwing a fit because I won't give him a bite.  I already gave him one and that's it.


Here's the recipe if you want to try it.  These have to be stored in the fridge or freezer.

1/2 C butter
1/2 C coconut oil (coconut oil is solid and turns liquid at 75 degrees or so)
1 C brown sugar
1 t vanilla

dissolve all of this on low heat and stir continuously.  Pour into parchment lined casserole pan 13X9 is what I used and then put into fridge for a few hours.  Break up into chunks.  This should make 4 C of chunks.

Just for the fun of it... I'll include a video of Ben encouraging Gwen to go potty.  Don't say she's never encouraged!  I thought it was funny how Ben turned Carmina Burana into a potty song.  He does stuff like that and it cracks me up!!

3 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

fabulous! I mean the video - the butterscotch are inspiring too :)

Stephanie said...

I take it Zeke likes sweets and Gwen is still stripping to sit on the potty....oh, the days of raising children!

jennifer said...

LOVE IT!!! Especially the video, those are the things Gwen will remember...and now all the millions that follow your blog too!!! hahahaha!