Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Steel Cut Oats

Someone from my small group made this for me after I had Zeke.  I thought it was so delicious that I got the recipe and made it tonight again.  It makes enough to fill a 9X13 casserole pan and it lasts all week for breakfasts.  If you've never tried steel cut oats, try them.. they are delicious and nutritious!  By the way, you can find steel cut oats in any grocery store, but sometimes they are expensive.  You can get them also at health food markets in bulk from the bins and that way they are cheaper.

Preheat oven to 325.  In a large nonstick pan, put 1 part steel-cut oats to 2 parts water.  For a 9X13, put 4 C oats and 8 C water.  Add a stick of butter, 1 C brown sugar (can cut down if it seems too much), a splash of vanilla, and a teaspoon of salt.  Add in whatever you like- cranberries, blueberries, raisins (about a cup worth).  In mine I put about a tablespoon worth of cinnamon and I added raisins.  Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer until thick (around 30 minutes)- be sure to stir frequently.  Then pour it into a casserole dish, sprinkle brown sugar on top (I left this part out since I had it in the oatmeal as it cooked), and cook until most of the water is gone (I cooked mine for 25 minutes).  If you use a glass casserole dish you can look in there and see the water content.
If you want to make this a bit more decadent, the lady that gave this recipe to me said she's even put chocolate chips on top of the oatmeal.  She put that on after she put it in the casserole pan.  She said if you do this to skip the brown sugar so it doesn't get too sweet.

If you try it let me know. :)

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I'm glad you posted about this. I've seen the steel cut oats at Publix but thought there were too expensive to try.