Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Things That Make You Go... Humm

These are dark photos, but this is a toy that we inherited from my sister.  It is a cute little dog.  I noticed something, um, special about this dog though.  I'm thinking maybe this dog does something special although I've never seen it do it.  You have to take a close look at the second photo to discover the special something.














Here are some other things that have interested me lately.

* The female European cuckoo can't be bothered to take care of her chicks.  She lays an egg in another bird's nest.  When the egg hatches, it's the other bird that does all the hard work, raising the chick.  She tricks other birds because her egg matches the others in the nest.
*Maras live in South America.  They're a kind of long-legged guinea pig.  Mara parents never join their babies in the burrow.  They whistle down the hole and the young come scampering out.
*Whale sharks lay the biggest eggs- one was found that had a 14 inch diameter.
*Each time a nine-banded armadillo gives birth, she has four identical babies.  They are either all female or all male.  This is because a single egg inside her splits into four, and all four parts begin to grow- into identical quadruplets.
*A mother harp seal's milk is so thick and rich that it looks more like mayonnaise than milk.  It's about ten times creamier than cow's milk and is such good food that you can almost see the harp seal pup growing fatter as it feeds.
*A mother tiger takes care of her cubs until they're about two years old.  But then she has another litter and ignores the older cubs.  It's not really cruel- the two year olds are grown now, and it's about time they took care of themselves.  (talk about "kick the puppy"!  If you don't know about "kick the puppy" then that is for another blog post)

5 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I think I need the kick the puppy post! That dog is too funnY!

Lori said...

Um, we actually have that dog. It's Barbie's dog Tanner and he came with 5 "poop pellets". You put them in his mouth as food, push down on the tail, and out comes the poop. Among other accessories, it also came with a pooper scooper, trash can, & dog food box.

Unknown said...

Lori, the mystery is revealed!!! HAHA

Olya said...

OK, I just have to comment on this! I KNOW that dog! For complete PHOTO tutorial on how to use this dog , read here http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2006/12/tanner_the_barb/
It is hilarious!

Olya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.