See this? This is Gwen's last pacifier that has been cut on the end and now in the trash can. We've made the move to get her off of the pacifier now. First we tried the cut the ends off method. She didn't like it much, but after about 30 minutes of freak out she'd accept the nub. I just decided it would be a lot easier to throw them away and do cold turkey. I mean, if she's going to freak out anyway, why not right? It really was because of Ben that we did this. I wanted to hang on to that paci for my sanity, but Ben thought it was definitely time to get rid of it for several reasons. It's unsanitary really, and she woke up sometimes at night when her paci fell out of bed, and the older you get the harder it is to get rid of it he thought. She's doing really well. She adapts well to change generally. I know it's different with all children, but Ben's theory is that little kids deal much better with change than adults. Ben is a big believer in change. When the rest of his work buddies order the same thing every single Friday at the Chinese restaurant they go to... it's Ben trying something new every single week. When we were looking for a house we were pregnant, Ben starting a new job all at the same time. We thought it was exciting! I wonder if he's right about kids and change. I mean, one day I don't think Gwen can recognize any colors and the next she's saying "mother, not the chartreuse shirt!" (she hasn't really said that yet) Anyway, you get the picture. If you ask dad's if kids handle change well they'd say "sure". You ask the same question to a bunch of moms and they'd say "well, you have to be careful not to do too much." One of my friends said that her pediatrician said not to make any big changes (like getting rid of paci) when you've been through a life change like a new baby coming home. Then, I ask MY pediatrician yesterday and she said "get rid of it." Can we not have a parenting summit or something and figure this stuff out??? I guess it depends on the kid...but this stuff is frustrating if you ask me. Anyway, my baby girl is becoming a toddler!! Woo Hoo!
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
No wonder she didn't like the cut pacafier - you cut half of it off! When they were saying cut just a little, they really meant a tiny bit, just enough to let air in. She might not have been any happier with that either though, lol. Poor baby :-(
Mom
Yup, she's a growin' up!
I know it might be rough the first few days, and nights....but what do you do to break the thumb habit? can't just throw it away....
I have 3 thumb/finger suckers who are not ready to give it up....even tho I am ready for them to.
stace
could you put a yucky tasting something on their finger?
I think Ben is right, kids adapt better to change than adults do. I am always amazed to look back on the day and think of the things I asked Caleb to put up with patiently or without complaining that I don't seem to have patience for! Thank goodness he hasn't noticed all my failings yet.
It's humbling to deal with little kids. I'll tell Caleb how he needs to learn self control as a child because it is such a dangerous and unbecoming trait in an adult and immediately think ways I don't even bother to exercise self control. Wish I could just get a spanking sometimes and learn my lesson.
yeah, it's tough with all the change...but they amaze me every day. Gwen went down for her nap..but woke again in 30 min and then had a long cry.. like 20 min and now she's asleep again. She wants that stinkin' paci SO BAD
I feel sorry for Gwen. You may at any time ship her to Alabama and I will personally go and purchase any paci she wants. And then we shall take a nap together :-) By the way, did I tell you how nice it is to be an aunt instead of mom?
Post a Comment