Here's another recipe for peppernuts I came across today in my cookbook "Recipes from the Old Mill- Baking With Whole Grains" by Sarah E. Myers and Mary Beth Lind. She says she knew someone that made peppernuts every Christmas and cut them out with a thimble! I have found that they become spicier a few days after making them. We call them "spicy bites". This recipe varies by adding nuts and cardamom and it doesn't use all whole wheat flour. I have cardamom seeds, but I don't have ground cardamom. Do any of you have ground cardamom?
1 C honey
1/4 C margarine (or butter)
1 small egg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp allspice
3/4 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 C flour
2 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C finely chopped nuts
1/3 C hot water
1. Cream honey, marg, and egg together
2. Sift together all dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture, along with nuts and water.
3. Roll dough into long 3/4 " diameter sticks and freeze overnight between layers of waxed paper. The next day, slice 3/8 " thick and place on greased baking sheet.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 min. Peppernuts will be hard after they cool. They keep for months in a closed container. Yeehaw! (I added that)
Friday, March 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment