Friday, February 13, 2009

Brussels Sprouts

Tonight was my first experience with brussels sprouts. That's right... brussels with an s. I always thought it was "brussel sprouts", but it's "brussels sprouts." That's about the extent of what I learned today. Anyway, I found them delicious. They sort of have a cabbagey taste to them and they are soft and nice. This whole more vegetable thing has gotten me really in awe of all the different kinds of vegetables God made and their differences. Tomorrow night is chickpea burgers. I know, I know, weird. I'll let you know how it goes!

I bought frozen brussels sprouts and thawed them in some water for a bit. I then cut them in half and put them on a towel and squeezed out the water. Next I put a couple of tablespoons olive oil in a pan and heated it up on medium heat. I put the sprouts in and let them get all brownish on the edges. When they started to get a little cooked I put salt and pepper and minced garlic in. I'd say maybe 3 cloves. (I had two frozen bags worth of sprouts) If I were to do it again, I think I'd put a little cayenne pepper in there for some added heat.


Here they are!

So our menu tonight was salad with cauliflower bits and tomatoes on there and the sprouts and roasted chicken and peppers and hummus. You guys let me know if you try something daring. I'd like to try endive, fennel, or artichokes next.

6 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Very interesting...my mom served brusselS sprouts when I was a kid and I never remember liking them. I didn't know about the extra s either.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Did you like them? I don't think I 've ever eaten them.

Unknown said...

yes, I liked them Lisa. Steph, I'm sure mom would like them. She just won't give them a try. Maybe I'll make them when you all are here and she can try them. Leah, Ben didn't like them growing up, but he does now. Growing up I wouldn't eat beans... in chili, by themselves... but now I love them.

Anonymous said...

Here's a story about Ben and Brussells Sprouts. When we lived in northern England, brussels sprouts were plentiful so everyone ate them. I just fixed them in the microwave. Anyway Ben hated them and we had a rule that you had to eat some of your vegetables on your plate. Well he bargained me down to eating only one. Then he picked off one little leaf of the sprout at a time and then he would drink a half of glass of milk. Then he would do the same until all of the sprout was gone. We went through a lot of milk that way, but he did eat his vegetables. :?)

His momma says.

John said...

Funny how your tastes change as you get older. I was a picky eater, but now there are many things that I enjoy that I would have gagged on as a kid. But, I still have not developed a taste for sprouts. Eww. I like cabbage, but it has a milder, sweeter taste to me.

Oh well, I am thankful that God was so creative when he created all the fruits and vegetables that are so good for us.
Stacey