Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Legacy

What a happy little girl Gwen is! For the most part Gwen has these expressions throughout her day. She especially likes it when I turn on music and dance around. Although I'm ok with whatever she enjoys, I do hope she enjoys music. I got out one of my favorite children's CDs today. It's one that you won't find at Wal-Mart. It's a CD of a teacher that has recorded her favorite songs that she taught the children in my hometown. Her name is Polly Easterwood... what an incredible name huh? Anyway, I love her songs. When I taught school the kids LOVED these songs. I think of girl scout songs and hymns and silly songs that I'd like Gwen to know. I mean, you'd be surprised to know how many kids I've met that don't know "Amazing Grace" or the national anthem... or worse, never have music in their home. I think everyone should know songs like "Mares Eat Oats and Does Eat Oats" and "Eggbert The Easter Egg". One of my new favorite songs is from a CD that my sister had of nursery rhymes set to music. These are the lyrics to the one I'm obsessed with (so if you hear me say "dilly dilly" sometime you'll know):

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen

Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?

'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so

Call up your friends, dilly, dilly
Set them to work
Some to the plough, dilly dilly,
Some to the fork

Some to the hay, dilly dilly,
Some to thresh corn
Whilst you and I, dilly dilly,
Keep ourselves warm

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen

Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so

I think this smile looks like Ben. Look at those chompers!


1 comment:

Beki Lee said...

I love lavenders blue!! I think we used to sing it in school! Dilly dilly!
She is so big! I wish i could see her again!