Friday, October 10, 2008

Moment To Remember

I suppose all new parents experience a variation of this experience. We think Gwen might be in the early stages of teething. She's drooling, wanting to nurse more frequently, and just plain crabby, especially at night. We took her temp last night and it was slightly elevated- 99.0 As the night wore on she became inconsolable for about 2 hours. I've never experienced her crying like that so I was at a complete loss. I tried everything. Finally around 11pm Ben took her from me so I could have a break even though all that meant was me sitting on the bed crying and praying for wisdom. Here lately when Ben is trying to console Gwen he sings "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music. I guess last night he sang that so much it was time for a song change. Through my tears sitting on the bed I witnessed a miracle. Ben turned on the bathroom light and Gwen caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and stopped crying. That's when I heard it... Ben's new song choice. It was that song that says "play that funky music white boy." So there I was with tears coming down laughing my head off. She settled down after that and went to sleep. Ben says we need to remember that moment. This morning I was looking at her when she woke up and, no kidding, she opened her eyes, raised her head, looked at me and grinned.

3 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

She's going to be one funny kid!

When Caleb was tiny, his favorite thing for us to sing was the Mahna Mahna muppets song.

Lisa said...

I love that song........who wouldn't want to dose off to that one:)

It's funny what songs we sing to them at different times. I used to sing "shake your booty" as a bath time song to my kids because it made them laugh.

John said...

Yup, been there at bedtime with a fussy little one and not had any idea what was wrong! A dose of Tylenol (or even half a dose) and rocking usually helps mine....and I like to hum all the old praise songs from the 90s.....
And I sing You are my Sunshine to Caleb, but what a song! Please don't take my sunshine away? What's that got to do with a baby?
Stacey