Monday, April 11, 2011

Greek Chicken and Spinach Casserole

I made this last night and I personally thought it was fantastic!  I hope you do too.  I got it from my local paper.

Greek Chicken and Spinach Casserole

2 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 C sliced mushrooms (I skipped these cause I don't like em)
1 C frozen, chopped spinach (I used 1 10oz package)
1 C quick cooking brown rice, uncooked (I used some short grain brown rice I had already cooked and also some instant white rice I had and wanted to use) I put enough to equal 2 C cooked rice
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp pepper
chicken breasts, cut into cubes (I boiled it ahead of time with some bullion cubes)
1 C chicken stock (I added more)
1 T lemon juice
2 T reduced fat feta cheese (I added more)
slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray casserole dish with non stick spray.  put oil in skillet and heat on medium high heat and throw in your onions and garlic until they are wilty.  Put in your frozen spinach and turn it over and scrape it sometimes until it's thawed.  Pour that into your casserole dish.  Stir in rice and seasonings and cooked chicken.  Pour chicken stock over all of it until it looks not too too wet, but not dry.  Cover and bake 30 min.  Uncover and drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with feta and almonds.  Bake uncovered another 10 min.

No comments: