Friday, October 08, 2010

Whole Wheat Pizza Pockets

I have made these a few times now and Ben loves them!!  Gwen likes them too and they are great to freeze either uncooked or cooked to warm up for a fast lunch.  I have frozen them cooked and then warmed them in the microwave.  By the way, I know the dough has a bit of butter in there... but it makes a LOT of dough.  You can vary your fillings and be creative.  I got this recipe from this website.

Crust:

3 1/2 C whole wheat flour (I've been using whole white wheat flour recently... still whole wheat... just a different variety and it is a lighter flour and less of a "whole wheat" taste- wonderful)  You can get this flour in health food stores.  I got mine at Whole Foods Market.
1 t. sea salt
1 C melted butter
1 C plain yogurt

Stir it all up and I let my dough rest in the fridge for 10 minutes or so because if it gets warm it's hard to handle.

Pizza Sauce- you can used jarred spaghetti sauce (what I used last night) or I have tried this sauce too and it is good also.

1 1/2 C tomato sauce
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 1/2 t. oregano
1 1/2 t. basil (I put in some of my fresh basil and it was GOOD)

Stir and simmer for a few min.

I get a fourth of the dough out at a time.  I let the rest sit in the fridge.  I roll out the dough on a floured surface and use a large coffee cup to cut the circles so the pockets are relatively the same size.  I roll out the circle and then put in the fillings.  I like to put diced chicken, mozarella, peppers if I have them and sauce of course...but you can make them any way you like.  Then fold over and seal with your fingers and then use a fork to seal it completely.  If the fork sticks to the dough, put the fork in flour.
If you freeze them uncooked, then put on a cookie sheet at this point and freeze them.  Pop them off after an hour and stick in a bag.  OR... cook them.

If frozen:  400 degree oven for 30 min.
If thawed:  400 degrees for 20 min

I prefer to cook them and then freeze them after they cool completely.  

No comments: