Thursday, June 03, 2010

Vanilla Extract Making

I was inspired by another blog to do a project.  I'm making my own homemade vanilla extract.  It takes six months to do, so I'll give it away as presents for Christmas and keep some for myself.  I ordered the vanilla beans off of amazon.com and then went to a liquor store and bought the vodka.  I put it all together today and it will go in the basement and just wait it out.  If you're interested in the recipe... here's the link to the blog I got it from. http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/  I highly recommend it.  I buy vanilla extract from Aldi for say 5 dollars and it is 2 fl oz.  I'm making 32 of those bottles and have spent $37 for this project.  Apparently, this extract is supposed to be very strong too, so you only have to use half the amount you normally do.

While I cut vanilla beans, Gwen was stirring water in the sink.  I do believe she sampled some of her "soup" too.  Here she is smiling.


Here's what Zeke was doing.


My vodka.


vanilla beans



all done.


Beki has now moved in with us and she is settling in.  I found this plush toy Giardia very amusing.  By the way, Giardia is basically diarrhea.  To me, it looks like a shrimp wearing fringe.  



Today we had a really good time swimming in a little plastic pool my mother-in-law bought for Gwen.  I'd put pictures on here, but she was skinny dipping. :)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am glad to see that you used vodka that at least looks Russian! Chloe had that dear parasite when she came home from Russia. This whole post is quite a trip down memory lane for me :-)

Unknown said...

Correction... My two fl oz of pure vanilla extract at Aldi costs $1.99 so it's about a dollar an ounce. My investment was 37 bucks and it makes 64 fl oz of extract.