Friday, February 19, 2010

Gwen and Soup

This is Gwen today.  I turned around one minute and then look at her again and this is what I saw.  :)  Makes me laugh.  Also, today I was nursing Zeke and I heard Gwen on the monitor waking from a nap.  Instead of her usual call for me, she started singing "twinkle twinkle little star."  It really touched my heart and I sat there and cried.  I'm so thankful for my two wonderful children.  I'm also thankful for my loving husband.  When he got home I was pretty beat, so he told me he'd feed Gwen and I could go upstairs for a nap.  I did and then when I came downstairs I made the soup below.  It is from the weight watchers recipe book, and for those of you that like to try new things... let me just say, it is easy and delicious!  You know me and soups!  You just can't go wrong with a soup that has peanut butter as one of the ingredients!  Fantastic!  I had it with a bit of nan bread.


Senegalese Peanut Soup

1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 C chicken stock or chicken broth (I used chicken broth)
3 T natural creamy peanut butter
1 tsp peanut oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 (1 inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp cayenne, or to taste (I put it on top because I didn't want to make the whole pot spicy)
2 T chopped fresh cilantro (I used dried cilantro on top of each bowl)

1.  In a blender or food processor (I used food processor), combine the chickpeas, 1/2 C of the stock, and the peanut butter; puree.
2.  In a large nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil.  Saute the onions and ginger until the onions are soft.  Stir in the curry and cumin; saute 1 minute longer.  Add the remaining 2 1/2 C of stock, the tomatoes and the chickpea mixture; simmer 5 minutes to blend the flavors.  (I simmered longer because I was nursing)  Season with the cayenne and cilantro.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really laughed at the picture! Glad to see she liked the stickers, lol.
Mom

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

She is just too cute!