Monday, February 15, 2010

Around the House

Today Ben had the day off for President's Day (gotta love those Presidents!) and so we went to the library for "rhyme time" for Gwen to participate in and then we went to Chick-Fil-A as a special treat.  Gwen loves it there because she gets to play in the play area.  Ben takes her in there and watches her, but at one point today she got out of his sight in the tubing stuff.  He said he heard the kids saying "I've got the baby" and things like that and he knew they were talking about Gwen.  Then this little boy came out and said "they won't let us have the baby, they've captured your baby sir."  Ben said to the kids just to leave her alone.  Mind you, they weren't doing anything mean to her...but just "taking care" of the baby meaning talking to her and probably passing her around. Then when Ben was getting Gwen out and pulling her down the stairs from the tubing part the little boy emerged again and said, "we took good care of your baby, sir" and saluted.  I found that very funny.

Tonight we had our first family Bible time.  We've been talking about it for ages, but just now have put it into action.  We have decided that after dinner and cleanup that that would be a good time for us.  We spread out a blanket on the living room floor and read Psalm 1 tonight and talked about it.  Gwen pretended to be a tree planted by water and she told us that there were birds in her tree.  I asked her if there were squirrels in her tree and if they were trying to get nuts and I heard Ben snicker.  Then we went around and said something about our day... something we were thankful for or something we'd like to share with the family.  Gwen decided to sing "Twinkle, twinkle" for her contribution.  Then we ended in prayer.  Zeke was there too...but he was sleeping.  Afterwards we had a good time together singing London Bridge and playing horsie on daddy's back.  So.. how do you all do family devotions and how do you make them special?  I've thought it would be neat when they get older to light a candle...but that isn't going to happen for a long time!!

Finally, a video of Gwen counting to ten.  She is unprompted here, other than what you hear.  I find it remarkable that she is doing this.  I mean, we haven't really worked on it per say.  She is a bright little girl I think.  Of course, every mother thinks they have a gifted kid. :)

3 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

She IS bright! The way she counted them is different from how Annalise does it, she sort so strings the numbers together almost like they are one word - like "onetwothree" "fourfivesix" "seveneightnineten".

For our Bible time, we've been reading the Jesus Storybook Bible. It isn't perfect, but I think any Bible that succeeds in being on a 2 year old's level is not going to be word for word. I was in a good routine in working on Bible verses with Caleb, but haven't been able to get it back into my regular schedule since Christmas...or since October anyway! Those were from the NIV and the kid can memorize some long ones. I usually pick ones that have some behavioral application :)

Unknown said...

I've been thinking that I'd like to teach Gwen some Bible verse songs. I think that would help her learn them. I know some, but maybe I'll check out a CD with some on there too. Thanks for sharing what you do as a family. What time of day do you do your Bible time?

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Bible time we do after bath but before brushing teeth. When I've worked with Caleb on Bible verses I do that in the morning - better concentration :)