Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Biscotti

Have I ever mentioned that I like food?  Ok, I have a new "thing" and that is biscotti.  They aren't as sweet as cookies and not quite as tempting to me, but still satisfying.  I allow myself one a day and it is nice with some hot tea.  Here's one I made recently.  This recipe is from Weight Watchers recipe and has a points value of 1.   Below is the recipe and a picture.  I'm sorry that my food photography is so horrible.  You should see some of the photography on other blogs... beautiful!  Oh well! :)

Chocolate Espresso Biscotti

2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C slivered almonds
1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 T ground coffee (I used instant coffee)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 C sugar
2 large eggs
3 T strong brewed coffee (I used milk instead)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a baking sheet and set aside.  Combine flour, almonds, cocoa, ground coffee, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, brewed coffee, and vanilla.  Add the sugar mixture to flour mixture and beat on low speed until well combined and a fairly dry dough forms.  Divide the dough in two. Shape into two "logs" on your cookie sheet and pat down a little.  Bake about 20 minutes and then take them out and rest for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, lower the temp of the oven to 300.  Cut and arrange cookies as a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes on each side.  (I don't like mine SO crunchy, so I cut down the time on this step)  Biscotti will crisp as they cool.














Also this week I tried my hand at making Cornish pasties. (pronounced paaa  sties like the sound in action)  They are like little meat pies that coal miners used to eat with their dirty hands and then throw the end away.  That's what Ben told me.  They were ok, but it was harder than I thought to make the pie crust and it grosses me out to deal with shortening.  I just think of Dr. Oz's face shaking side to side when I get it out.  Anyway, next I'd like to try empanadas or Indian somosas.  I guess every culture has it's own little meat pie huh?  Maybe the American one would be the chicken pot pie?  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think the Biscotti picture looks great! It sounds great too, except for the coffee. I like the Cornish Pastries too, although I haven't tried to make them yet, but want to. I have a recipe that I got last week. I'll let you know if it turns out good or not.
Mom

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Mmmm Biscotti! I think I am going to have to make your recipe!

I think you can make a dough for the pasties using only butter. I have stopped using shortening and used only butter last time I made a pie crust. I also recently made a crust for some little apple tarts using part butter and part cream cheese. It was good.

Unknown said...

if you run into the pie crust with no shortening, send it to me. I don't like using shortening.