Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's A Boy!

Our baby is finally here. Friday night Ben was going to take me out to the movies to see "The Blind Side" in this thing called Fork and Screen. It's where you basically eat while watching a movie and sitting in a nice recliner type seat. When we the got there it was all sold out so we tried another movie and it was all sold out as well. I told Ben not to worry and why didn't we just get dinner out somewhere and then rent a movie if we felt like it. We walked over in the snowy weather to a steak house to discover it had an hour wait. SO we decided to go to the Indian restaurant we like near our house. As soon as we got there I went to the bathroom and my water broke in a little gush. We left and went back home and packed our bag and called the OB and put Gwen to bed.

They let me labor on my own during the night without any medicine. I didn't have very regular contractions and they weren't very strong, so in the morning they started the pitocin to get my contractions on the move. I got an epidural and felt pretty good until I was around 9 cm dilated and that's when I felt lots of pressure and it was painful. I had to wait an hour to push because the doctors and nurses were with another lady next door that had a baby in distress. Of course I wanted everything to go well with the other baby, but I was getting weary. After about an hour of waiting I pushed for thirty minutes and wasn't making significant progress. He had his head turned to the side and tilted a little. They tried to turn his head, but he didn't move it. Then I rested for 30 minutes and pushed again. It was getting to the 24 hour mark since my water had broken, so they were a bit concerned and started talking C-section. I had also developed a fever by now. I guess hearing the words C-section gave me strength, because then I pushed and he came down more. Then a little more pushing and he was here. I cried tears of relief and kept thanking the Lord. :)

Since then we've been getting to know one another and he is precious and a very good nurser. I know things will get even better when my milk comes in. He is one hungry little guy. He looks so much like Gwen to me that I almost want to call him Gwen. We've decided to call him Zeke Benjamin Barreth. We'll call him Zeke. It's a bit unusual of a name, but we thought Zeke Barreth sounds like a cool person to hang out with in college or an extreme sports star or something. That's basically how we chose it. :) I hope he likes it.


A picture of me after he was just born. Isn't my hairdo lovely?

My mom was there for the birth. Here she is with Zeke.


Isn't he a cutie?



Daddy and baby Zeke.


5 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

He is a cutie!!! Zeke is an unusual name, but maybe you guys will start a trend :) You will love having a little boy, they are really different from girls!!!

John said...

Wonderful news to see Gwen's baby brother! You have the 'one syllable' name thing going on....Gwen and Zeke....I like it. And he sure does look like Gwen. But, give him a few days....all my newborns look alike too until they are a few months old....except Caleb- the first thing I said to him was "You look different"
So watch out for number 5....
Love you, and I'm so proud of you for finding the strength to deliver, instead of caving in to a section...I know it was difficult on many levels....Stace

Anonymous said...

congratulations! How big was the little guy? He does look like Gwen!
Laura

Lori said...

He is beautiful! Congratulations. And Leah is right - it is a lot of fun having one of each! You will enjoy the adventure.

mommykoo said...

thanks for sharing your birth experience with zeke. i rejoice with you in the Lord too that He gave you the strength to push Zeke out so you can avoid the knife!!! love ya!