Thursday, September 17, 2009

Name Funnies

Well... I have gotten some name books from the library and have been looking and looking. It is seriously very hard work for me to decide on names. I think Ben and I are narrowing it down, but we're a ways from deciding. We have to have two solid choices for both a girl and a boy since we don't know the sex of the baby and I can't name someone I haven't met yet. In one of the naming books they had these stories that made me laugh.

Popes traditionally choose a new name upon their election by the College of Cardinals. The practice began in 844 A.D. when a priest whose real name was Boca de Porco (Pig's Mouth) was elected. He changed his name to Sergious II.

A new recruit in the U.S. Army filled out all the forms he was presented with as he always had in school: R. (only) B. (only) Jones. You guessed it-- from then on he was, as far as the Army cared about it, Ronly Bonly Jones, and all his records, dogtags, and discharge papers proved the point again and again.

There are 3,037 male names in the Bible and 181 female names.

Harry S. Truman owed his middle name, the initial S., to a compromise his parents worked out. By using only the inital, they were able to please both his grandfathers, whose names were Shippe and Solomon.

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Ronly Bonly - that is hilarious! And 3037 male Bible names! But just think of how strange most of them are :)