
I have been meaning for ages to do a blog about the Red-tailed hawk. I have never seen one in person until I came to Missouri. They are everywhere perched beside the roads hunting. I've made it a project of mine to learn a little bit about them. I thought you all would find it interesting too. When you get older don't you sometimes think, "man, if I had a research paper due now I'd do it on this topic." No? Ok, so maybe I'm the only one... but right now my research topic would be the red-tailed hawk. Let me tell you a little about them.
Their cry is used in movies to represent any eagle or hawk anywhere in the world. Apparently, eagles don't cut it with their cries. If you watch the video I will attach then you will understand. It's amazing and SCARY!
They are sometimes known as a "chicken hawk" although they rarely kill chickens. They are sometimes shot by farmers thinking they will take their chickens, but in other places they are protected by law.
Females are bigger than males!Indians consider the feathers to be sacred and are used in religious ceremonies.
It flies 20 to 40 mph and while they are diving they may reach up to 120 mph.
Generally they are non aggressive towards humans... thank goodness.
They eat whatever comes their way. They eat birds, reptiles, and small mammals mostly.
When they reach 3 yrs old they are mature. They are monogamous... meaning they mate with the same partner for many years. (like eagles) Only if their mate dies will they get a new one.
When they are courting the male does an air show to impress the female with huge dives and big circles.... all the while screeching his head off.Females lay 1 to 5 eggs at the beginning of April. (about one every day) Both the male and the female incubate the eggs although it's mostly the female while the male brings in food. They also both make the nest.
They are a really interesting and beautiful bird!
1 comment:
I understand your research paper comment ;) When I have time to read, I'm always finding myself wishing I'd read that book or thought what I thought about it back in college or that I had some reason other than amusing myself to be so interested in it now!
Post a Comment