Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ode To Kansas


Well... now that I'm in Kansas I feel like I ought to share some info about the state. I always like to know state information. I'm not sure why... so here it goes.

The state capital is Topeka, but the largest city is Wichita. (I've never been to either) Kansas is the 15th largest state.

Where did they get the name Kansas? Well... I've heard that it was named for Konza (also called Kansa or Kaw) Indians who lived in the area. I've also heard that the name is from the Sioux Indian meaning "south wind people." Not too sure.


Here is the state flag. You can't see it very well but it has a sunflower at the top because Kansas is the "sunflower state." It also has some people in covered wagons and Indians hunting bison on it. It also has the state motto: "Ad Astra Per Aspera", which means "To the stars through difficulty" in Latin. Inspiring huh?



The state song: Home on the Range
The state tree: Cottonwood
The state bird: Western Meadowlark










State Animal: Bison





There is also the state repile, the state insect and the state soil, but that's just getting ridiculous. Anyway... hope you learned something new about the mighty state of Kansas.

No comments: