Thursday, January 10, 2008

What's It Like?

Today as I was going through some more boxes I came across this poem that I jotted down from a book I read one summer. I thought it was so beautiful that I should share it. The painting at the bottom is by an artist called Danny McGraw.... lovely.

Mom, What's It Like?

When you felt the foot within your womb,
when the infant cry first filled the room...
to think that you and heaven just circled the moon...
what's that like?

And the day the bus pulled to a stop
and you zipped the jacket up to the top
and placed a kiss on a five-year-old's cheek
and waved good-bye, then saw the trike-
silent and still- what's it like?

The first time you noticed his voice was deep.
The first time she asked if you were asleep
and wanted to know when love was real,
and you told her. How did you feel?

Then the candles were lit.
She came down the aisle.
Did you weep? Did you smile?

And when your child with child told you the news,
and in the quiet of the corner asked for clues.
"Mom," she whispered, "What's it like?"
What you told her would you tell us?
Indeed, what is it like?

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I read something like that and can't stay frustrated that Annalise's still awake (or that I'm typing w/ one hand!).