It is extract making time! This year I am trying something new. I'm trying almond extract. This first picture is of the almonds that have been blanched and skinned. It's therapeutic to skin almonds I found. Sometimes mindless activities like that are soothing. When I was a kid milking goats was like that. Have I mentioned I wasn't the typical kid playing t-ball? Well, if you were interested in trying your hand at almond extract, it is 2 C of blanched natural almonds (blanching is putting them in boiling water for exactly 1 minute) per half gallon of alcohol. (I used vodka) Viola! It is ready in 2 months, but I am going to wait 5 or so for Christmas time. When you blanch the almonds lay them out on a towel and put another towel on top and dry them gently. Some of the skins will just come off with you touching them, but then the rest you have to pick them up and slide off the skin. I also did one gallon of regular vanilla extract... but I have enough beans for a second gallon. I think I will do the second gallon as well when I get enough time.
I am now 24 weeks along and I feel the presence of this baby now. I have forgotten what it feels like to be pregnant even though it was only 3 years ago when I was expecting Zeke. There is no hiding on the third go round and as my doctor said "I have hit a growth spurt." In other words, I already had a belly, but now it's getting really round. The difference this time? I have no idea what month I'm in and this baby moves more than the other two did. I haven't thought that much about names because I tend to over think it and drive myself crazy.
In other news, my choir is getting ready for a big concert this upcoming Friday. This is my favorite for the concert. Serendipitously, my pastor's sermon this week was on the Sermon on the Mount. I'm not sure I understand it entirely... exactly what being "poor in spirit" means and so forth, but I love this song. Isn't music wonderful that we can take Jesus's exact words and make it into praise? This is such a complex world full of sin.. but at least we have music. It is one of the wonderful comforts of life I believe.
2 comments:
are you using vodka or rum with the vanilla this year?
I used vodka because I think I prefer it to the rum. I've had some friends that prefer the rum though. To each his own!
Post a Comment