Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Same Soap

 I read an article in a magazine that really made my heart glad.  It is about SAME restaurant in Denver, CO.  It serves fresh, organic foods to anyone and you pay what you can.  There are no prices on the menu.  I thought it was such a radical idea...but beautiful.  Check it out on the link.  If I ever go to Denver, you can bet SAME restaurant will be on the list of things to do.

Now for my first soap making experience.  I did some research online about how to make soap and I decided that for my first try I'd better do the melt and pour kind because working with lye is dangerous and I didn't want a science experiment going on with the kids around.  So... I got my PVC pipe with a cap on the end (3 inch) and lined it with parchment paper on the inside taping it down.  Then I melted the shea butter soap base.  I have lemon essential oil, so I thought I'd make it lemon basil kind.  I had lots of basil chopped up ready to add and then as a spur of the moment decision I decided to add the spice Tumeric to the soap to color it.  I didn't think the smell would overpower the lemon essential oil.  Well... the soap turned out a beautiful color, but smells a bit like tumeric lemon.  Ben said to call it "Bombay mix".  Um... doesn't everyone want to wash with a bar of soap that smells like Bombay?  No offense my Indian friends.  You know how I love Indian food!


Ben helped me get it out of the PVC pipe and get the cap off.  I kept saying encouraging things like "I can see the head!"  "PUSH"


Here it is.  It made 23 bars of soap.  I used 4 lbs of base for this soap.  So... all in all... not horribly bad... if you like Bombay mix smell.  :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Meredith - I read this post after the photos of the sunflowers. I haven't laughed this much in awhile. Your life is just going right as planned today huh?? Bombay smell? Sign me up for another scent please :-) Love you!!!