So I'm trying to find a recipe for great "sandwichy" type everyday bread. My bread making in the past has been limited and the loaves a lot of times came out hard. I'm trying a friend's recipe using dough enhancer and vital wheat gluten to make it more softer and sandwichy. After making this recipe several times now I can now talk about it with some semblance of knowhow. I had to order my dough enhancer from off line and then another friend of mine found some in a health food store and bought it for me. I recommend "Augason Farms" dough enhancer because you get A LOT more for your money and it's not all pellety like the other one I bought. The pellets were annoying because they never seemed to dissolve and so you have little brown pellets in your bread.. yuck. The Augason Farms one is smooth like flour. I got the vital wheat gluten from Wal-Mart. My hope is that unless I have an awesome coupon and I can get it for free or close to free.. I'll not have to buy store bought bread any longer. Almost all of it these days has high fructose corn syrup in there and yes, I know it's like sugar... sort of, but it seems weird and I've heard you can't regulate your blood sugar as well with high fructose corn syrup.
By the way... I went to CVS yesterday and using extra care bucks and another coupon I got 3 boxes of dishwasher tabs and a Sunday paper for $2 and the other day I saved $35 at Hen House using coupons. I was pretty impressed. :) I've started a little stockpile down in the basement for all my extra things I get really cheap with coupons. Right now I have three boxes of cereal, 3 boxes of dishwasher tabs, two tubes of toothpaste, lotion, hair gel, deodorant, and a shave gel. I'll keep you updated in my transformation of becoming a nutty coupon lady. Below is the bread recipe if you are interested.
Andrea Bread (I normally double this to make two loaves... you can always freeze it. Oh, and let it cool completely and then put it in the fridge uncut and then cut it. You can get better sandwichy slices that way I think)
this makes one loaf:
1C hot water
2 T oil (I use canola)
2 T honey
1 T vital wheat gluten
1 tsp dough enhancer
1 tsp salt (I use sea salt)
3-4 C wheat flour (I use hard WHITE wheat flour... same nutrition as whole wheat, but less wheaty tasting... and no, I don't grind my own wheat, but I want to. I buy it in the bag and I can't remember the brand)
1 T yeast
Measure liquids into bowl, then dry, use only 1/2 the flour (VERY important unless you want a rock) and add yeast last, mix until flour is moistened, continue to add flour until dough cleans sides of bowl. Then knead and add flour until it's not sticky anymore. Shape into loaf. Put in a greased pan and let it rise until doubled... usually about an hour. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Monday, February 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Your bread looks really good! Wish I could taste it, warm out of the oven, hummmm. I'll have to look for the special stuff. Seeing your bread makes me want to cook my own.
That anonymous was me :-)
Sorry
I make my kids eat whole wheat :-) I honestly could live without any bread I have decided. But I 100% agree with the avoiding HFCS - I purposely only buy kinds that don't have any.
I'm glad you posted this, I gave up trying to make a sandwich loaf because of the too hard crust issue. One of these days I will try it. These days I have a hard time getting around to trying new things.
BTW, I combined a BOGO with a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon today and thought of you :) I didn't get it all free, but it was like 4 for the price of 1, I was content for now. I think getting a lot for pennies takes more research time than I have.
I agree Leah. In these first few weeks of couponing I find that I'm using the same amount as I did earlier, but I do have some stuff in reserve for another week. It seems as soon as I bring food home it is gone and we have ketchup and one carrot in the fridge for me to cook with.
In Britain the supermarkets sold, Bread Flour, which was really coarse flour. It made delicious bread. All I know from previous bread making is that you have to not burn the yeast; let it rise forever and a day and then after punching it down let it rise another few hours, and while kneading the bread decide that you will knead it lots more. That is my take on bread making. I need to make some bread sometime. Maybe I could do it the next snow day...maybe Thursday?
Granny P
Post a Comment