Not job, but Job, you know... like the person in the Bible. When I first started reading Job it was interesting... I mean, what a horrible day that dude had! Then I got to the point that when I would read it my mind would go kind of numb like I was reading a historical novel and reading a war scene. Now that I've finished it and thought about it more and more I'm beginning to see what a wonderful book it is and how much I needed to read it.
Here are some of my thoughts:
Job 2:11-13
"When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him. When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because the saw how great his suffering was."
I wondered, am I that kind of friend? Do I know when to speak and when to be silent? I think that's not one of my strong points. I usually have something to say, but I have been asking God to show me the moments when I should say nothing. Discretion... Now, I know these same three friends later on in Job gave him some misguided advice, but still... it is clear they cared. I want to be the kind of friend that would sit with a suffering friend and just be with them and not have to say something.
Discretion... maybe it comes with age... maybe it comes with wisdom. Here's Job speaking to God when he realizes that God still likes him and hasn't really been absent in his suffering. I think his response is interesting.
Job 40
"Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth. Once I have spoken... Yes, twice, but... no further."
Here are some thoughts from my pastor. I thought they were so good I kept the sermon notes.
1. Don't assume you know why things happen.
2. In times of suffering, don't curse God, lose faith, or forget all the good.
3. Always remember- especially in times of suffering- that God is compassionate and merciful.
And finally... this question:
Why do we not question why God would give us good things? Why is it that we question God when things are bad?
Tuesday, February 01, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
very good.
Post a Comment