Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On Becoming Eccentric

I think I'm becoming eccentric.  I used to think that buying organic food was a bunch of hogwash and basically a waste of money.  Now though, I'm starting to turn a corner where I want my own yogurt maker, my own wheat grinder and want to buy local produce or grow my own.
 
I also have started on the recycling thing.  Now we have a tub in our garage for everything to be recycled.  I have one for glass, one for paper, one for plastic and one for cans and aluminum.  I unplug all chargers unless they are in use.  I've started taking shorter showers.  What is happening to me?  I'm still not on the cloth diaper band wagon, but I want to be.

How are you guys becoming eccentric?  Maybe one day I'll be the one wearing gold shoes.  I always tell my mom that when you are a certain age that if you feel like wearing bright metallic gold shoes you just do.  You get gutsy with age I mean.  The trouble with me is that just when I think I'm secure in who I am, something happens and I realize I'm just as insecure as I always was which is terribly annoying!  Ok, so maybe not as insecure as middle school ok?  I'm proud to say I've moved on from there.  You see people, this is how a discussion goes with me.  Just ask Beki.  Poor thing... I've talked her ears off I think lately.  After all... she is my therapist. ;)  (for those of you who don't know, she's studying to be a therapist)

3 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I think becoming ultra-picky is a part of getting older. At least, I see that in old women :)

I don't think I'll start wearing gold shoes, but I have stopped washing my hair as often. It started off as not really having time to do it every day and then I got curious about the pioneers and how often they washed their hair and read some articles about hair in general and discovered that my hair actually looks better the 3rd day after washing it, but has no improvement if I wash it every day.

Food in general is frustrating to me - because I think it shouldn't be something that divides people, but it does. I recently had a conversation with a friend about how she was stunned that I eat bacon. I won't stop eating bacon because she thinks it's wrong, but it bugs me that she would think less of my judgment because I do. Is that insecure?

Unknown said...

hum.. insecure over bacon. Now that's a new one for me. You know everything tastes better with bacon right? :) Maybe if you were an orthodox Jew and you told me you ate bacon I might be surprised. :)

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

The thing about bacon is, you can say you won't eat it if you think it's bad for you, but you have to admit it tastes good! And my argument is - even carrots contain nitrates.

However, I don't mean insecure about bacon, just insecure about what other people think of my decisions...although like you, I've gotten over that quite a bit since jr. high!