Don't worry, I'm not going to turn into Al Gore and make a video about how the planet is in trouble. I am trying to recycle more and learn more and I thought someone in the stratosphere might be interested too. Here's some interesting facts.
* Recycling creates six times as many jobs as do land-filling and incineration.
* Check out www.earth911.org for more info on actually how to recycle. I find so many of us don't know how. Like, do you know you're supposed to take the lids off of milk jugs? Yep.
* The EPA estimates that 4.7 billion pounds of carpet enter the waste stream each year. Visit www.carpetrecovery.org
* Ever check out www.freecycle.org? Very interesting sight.
Monday, July 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I recycle because waste concerns me, so I don't mean this as being contrary, but I think there must be some imbalance in recycling because things that make/save businesses or households money usually get made priorities without having to add some extra incentive, so if recycling was the most cost effective, you'd think everyone would be doing it.
I think there should be some incentive for recycling too. It's just we have been used to just pitching everything that I think people don't want to change what they've done for the past decades.
I saw something recently that was talking more about food than trash, but it referenced back to the end of WW2 as a time when people became more indulgent in response to depriving themselves for so long. I can see how that would influence the next generation into having no concept of moderation. Ultimately, that affects people in many ways besides food.
Also, if recycling creates more jobs, it is probably because it takes more work to do it - which is costly as well. I wondered why if someone will use my old milk jug and cardboard box, why do they ask me to donate it and not give me something for it - like they used to with glass bottles - and I think it must not be profiting anyone terribly much or they would make a bigger effort to get it.
(Rob's parents took the kids today, can you tell?)
Post a Comment