ok... so I'd heard of this substance in books before, but I'd never tried it until today. It's called sucanat and it is a more healthy sweetener than refined white sugar. You still don't want to down a ton of this stuff... but it tastes fine. I went to the whole foods market and got a ton of steel cut oats (which I'm addicted to), some flaked coconut (to use in granola), and ground flax seed (to use in waffles and granola) and I also got the sucanat to try. All of this came out to be $13. I thought buying organic grains and such would be mega expensive...but it's not really. I wonder if I should do more of that. In this whole foods market I go to the produce section is a sight to behold. I'll take a picture of it sometime for you all who care. It is gorgeous! I don't know why but to see carrots with the root still attached makes my heart start beating faster. I just love seeing all the color of the vegetables and fruits and the stuff I've never tried. Anyway... here's what I learned about sucanat.
It is a whole cane sugar. It's made by simply crushing freshly cut sugar cane, extracting the juice and heating it in a large vat. Once the juice is reduced to a rich, dark syrup, it is hand-paddled. Hand paddling cools and dries the syrup, creating the dry porous granules we call Sucanat. Nothing is added and nothing is taken out!
Because Sucanat still contains all of the cane's natural molasses, it has a deep brown color and a distinct, natural molasses flavor that enhances many foods. It measures the same as sugar. It is an excellent source of iron, calcium, vitamin B6, potassium and chromium, which helps balance blood sugar.
Here's my recipe for whole grain waffles I made last night. Flax seeds are an excellent source of omega 3s... in case you didn't know. :)
1 C all-purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
3 T ground flaxseed
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
2 C fat free milk (I used whole)
3 T canola oil
3 T unsweetened applesauce
1. In a large bowl, combine the fours, flax, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
3. cook in a waffle maker and serve with fruit topping or syrup.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my goodness, I thought I didn't know what this stuff was until you described how they made it - they were MAKING it at the sugar festival in Clewiston this weekend. Last year we brought home a sample jar. To me, it tasted too much like molasses, but maybe my palate is too used to refined sugar! Anyway, the way you described it was exactly how they made it at the fair - big vat, crushing the cane. Wish I'd taken a picture for you :)
Ok, I re read your post - it wasn't the dry version, they were handing out samples of the syrup.
I better hurry and get there for a visit or there will be nothing on the table I like, lol. You all know how fond I am of health (and healthy) foods,
Mom
Post a Comment