Saturday, April 03, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt

Today was our church's Easter egg hunt.  I've never been to this event because Gwen was so little.  But now that she can walk around I thought she'd like to give it a go.  I'm not into the Easter bunny and as a kid we never got visited by the Easter bunny either.  I think it's pretty much just another excuse for kids to get candy and become obese. :)
I don't think I was prepared for what I saw when I pulled up.  They had the Easter eggs out in a corded off portion of lawn and there were thousands of eggs sitting in broad daylight.  When I was a kid, we walked over to the pastor's house where they actually hid the eggs and they weren't plastic eggs filled with stickers and candy.  They were hard boiled eggs and we were thrilled with them.  There was a prize egg too with money, but I never got that one I don't think.  It was like $1 too... but we were tripping all over ourselves for the dollar.  Anyway, I digress...


Gwen had a great time.  They had a small area that was fenced in for the 2 and under to participate.  I'm glad because she would have been trampled otherwise.  She liked the stickers, but didn't like the idea of getting in the car and coming home.  To pacify her Ben passed her eggs as they rode home and he told me that there are loads of stickers in the floor of the minivan now.


I asked her today if she would like to go look for eggs and she turned around and said "eeeeggggs?" like she was calling them.



Here are my two cuties.  Isn't Gwen looking like a little girl now?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am glad she had a good time. Mine will almost hide their own eggs just to hunt them!! I think it is the hide and seek thing. Chloe has always been petrified of the Easter Bunny (there was someone in wal-mart dressed up and we almost had to leave one year) so we just hunt eggs as a side note to Easter. Gwen would enjoy hunting eggs in July!

SUE MORRIS said...

They are so cute! Isn't it fun just to watch how excited they get about hunting eggs? I can remember hiding the eggs you got over and over, just so you could go and look for them again. Sweet memories.
Mom

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

That's how the egg hunts are down here too. Caleb is getting old enough to really look, but he is still little enough that he ends up on the patch where the eggs are just scattered. We went to 2 egg hunts, and skipped a basket at home. They didn't even know to expect one, plus the hunts yielded so much candy it was ridiculous. It is really funny to me how much fun they have just looking for eggs - sometimes they will ask me to hide the empty ones around the house.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen so many children and so many eggs in all my life as those at your church!

Of course Gwen and Zeke were the cutest ones there.

Grandma Pam