Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mama and Thoughts

I know a lot of people must feel this way, but I really have the best mama in the world. I love the feel of her hands and how she laughs a lot. I love that she is giving and loyal and a good example of how to stay true to the marriage vow.

I want Gwen to call me "mama". Not mommy, not mom, not mother, but mama. That's what I called my mama. I have been saying it, oh, a thousand times a day to her trying to get her to say it and last night it sounded like she said it. Maybe it was an dream, but Ben heard it too.

Speaking of motherhood... I got a book from the library yesterday called "Miserly Moms" by Jonni McCoy. I've read her recipe book called "Miserly Meals", but I'm always looking for advice to live more simply and smarter. I included a picture here of the front of the book. It has to be the silliest picture I've ever seen. A lady carrying around a paper mache pig. I laughed out loud. BUT it does have neat statistics in there. Listen to this:


A restaurant meal costs six to ten times more than one made from scratch.

A frozen meal costs four times more than one made from scratch.

A prepackaged mix costs three times more than one made from scratch.

Precut foods (ready salads, sliced carrots, shredded cheese) cost two times more than if you cut them yourself.

How's that for incentive to cut out convenience foods from your life and cook at home!!!

What I do to save money in this area is I shop at Aldi's market. They are great. I look for deals and use a few coupons. I just don't have the energy to collect and remember coupons even though I know they are a great tool. I plan my meal plans around what I know I can get at Aldi's. I do go to another store if I have an ingredient that I can't find though. This week I made something with tomatillos so I sent Ben out to get some from another market. Lo and behold I go to Aldi's and they have them. Go figure! By the way, tomatillos are delicious!! I just broiled them with salt on there and put them in a stew.

Ok, another thought. Last night I was reading another book I got from the library about the art of having tea. I mean a sit down tea in the afternoon. I like the idea of doing that. Who doesn't right? I found this nursery rhyme in there that I've never heard before. Ben said he hadn't heard it either.

The lion and the unicorn
were fighting for the crown;
the lion beat the unicorn
all round the town.
Some gave them white bread,
and some gave them brown;
and some gave them plum cake,
and sent them out of town.

poor unicorn...

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I call my mom "Mama" too :) I think it's a southern thing! I think it's weird how people call little girls "mama" here, but I know it's just cultural.

You know, I don't use coupons very often. I usually just stick to generic brands. I do like the coupons they sometimes give out at Publix for $5 off a $50 purchase...because I spend $50 in there almost every time I go!