Monday, January 26, 2009

Hawk with Psoriasis

This photo was taken today in our backyard. A hawk in our backyard! I love those birds!

Today I also went to see a reumatologist. I hope I'm spelling that right. Remember the admission that I made to having psoriasis of the scalp? Well... it turns out after I've gone to an orthopedic doctor and had some blood drawn that my knees are swollen for a reason. I thought it was because I taught some kids to square dance in Miami...but no. The psoriasis has given me arthritis. That's right... it's called "psoriatic arthritis." Only 10% of us lucky people with psoriasis develop arthritis as a result. When he told me I just sat there in stunned silence. It only has affected my knees...they feel tender and I can't bend them all the way. Here's the crazy thing.. I can't take the major drugs for this because I'm breastfeeding. He prescribed a medicine for me to see if he can help it out....but the drawback is it will make me more hungry. MORE HUNGRY??? Wouldn't you know that the very moment he said that to me my stomach growled loud enough for him to hear. Talk about embarrassing. He doesn't know it, but I'm sitting there thinking, "I'm not going to take that pill." G.I. Joe always said "knowledge is half the battle"... well, maybe he's right. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

before giving up on other drug treatmen you need to look in the Dr Hale's book http://www.ibreastfeeding.com/pages/mmm_2006.html
Most of the time Drs do not educate themselves on what is ans is not ok to take while breastfeeding. You can't really get upset with the Dr since breastfeeding info isn't their job. They also don't take into consideration how much your baby is nursing, or if she is eating solids. You should be able to find the book at your local library. Dr Hale has done a lot of research on medications and breastfeeding. He is considered the #1 Dr on meds and breast feeding. Sorry about the diagnosis, but I am sure there is something you can take that hopefully won't increase your appetite :) I know how hungry breast feeding makes you!! Avery is 11 1/2 months and I'm still hungry all the time. :) Good Luck!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Wow Meredith! I'm sorry about this. I hope they are able to get you the medicine you need to keep you square dancing. Love yoU!!

Unknown said...

Amen sister to the hungry all the time stuff. So you can imagine how I felt when he said it will make you hungrier.

Unknown said...

ps... I love square dancing even if my knees are swollen