Friday, January 09, 2009

Little Rhymes

Lately Gwen has enjoyed little rhymes such as these:

This little piggy went to market,
this little piggy stayed home,
this little piggy had roast beef,
this little piggy had none,
and this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home.

Have you ever stopped to think about that? There is just something fundamentally wrong with a pig eating roast beef. Well.. at least it wasn't a pork chop right?

All around the garden,
like a teddy bear,
one step, two step
tickle under there.

This one is done by making circles in the palm of the hand and then on the step part you walk up the arm and tickle under the arm. Ben's mom taught us this one.

I'm looking for more of these types of things that maybe your parents taught you. If anyone knows of any drop a comment would you? THANKS!!

6 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

My kids have a book that says says "...this little piggy had a cookie, this little piggy had fun" and I always change the words to the original rhyme, because I groan and think, come on, what's wrong with the piggy having none!

My kids LOVE ring around a rosie. What about pop goes the weasel?

There's a rhyme from Caleb's High 5 magazine that he really enjoyed, it might be too invovled for Gwen yet - because you're supposed to walk around and swing your arms like a trunk, but you might work with it. It's:

A big, grey elephant lives in the jungle,
And when he walks he walks with a rumble,
He lifts his trunk way up the sky,
Lifts a leg and winks one eye,
And slowly goes back into the jungle.

Anonymous said...

Patty cake, patty cake
Baker's man
Roll em and a roll em and a
Throw em in a pan

Granny Pam

Stephanie said...

Clay and Chloe both still LOVE pat a cake! They do it to each other!!!

Anonymous said...

My mil does these two:

Hawks sail around, around, grab a chicken right there.

If I were a bumblebee, I'd bore a hole in (name here)'s tree.

I'd never heard of them before, but since they involve tickling they are a big hit.

My aunt always did "this little piggy" but inserted more fun items like ice cream and chocolate cake for roast beef, etc.

"The house that Jack built" was at Walmart a few months ago for $2.50, sold as a Little Golden Book. Kids like repetitive things like that and mine especially enjoys the kissing parts.

Laura

Lori said...

I'm Leah's SIL & have been "lurking" for some time. :) I've enjoyed reading the discoveries of a new mom. Anyway, there are some fingerplays on this website I thought you might find interesting, although many of them may be for older children: http://www.songsforteaching.com/fingerplays/index(dot)htm.
My kids always enjoyed the Grand Old Duke of York when they were little, but we sat on the floor w/them on our legs & made our knees go up or down with the words.

Unknown said...

great ideas! I've never heard some of those. Lori, I've lurked onto your blog as well and you are a fantastic and funny blogger. Love it!