Friday, January 02, 2009

Conversations in Our House

Here are some conversations that Ben and I have had within the last few days. I hope Gwen grows up to not be too embarrassed by us.

I have been thinking of how to "train" Gwen to sleep through the night. My doctor says to go "cold turkey" and just let her cry without going to her when she wakes up in the night so she can learn to put herself back to sleep. I'm having a hard time with the cold turkey. I asked Ben the other night why they call it "cold turkey." I mean, where did that come from? He said "cause you know that cold turkeys can get off of drugs much better than hot ones."

He asked me yesterday... you know how you call someone who can't see blind and someone who can't hear deaf? Well... what do you call it when someone can't smell? So we had this conversation about if that is possible to not smell. The jury is still out on that one.

13 comments:

Jason Arrington said...

I actually have a good friend who can't smell. He used to live with me and Jennifer. He would start cooking something, and forget about it, but would not smell it burning.

Unknown said...

interesting! so... what do you call it when someone can't smell?

Unknown said...

so I looked it up on Wikipedia and the condition where you can't smell is called "Anosmia". :)

Stephanie said...

I couldn't leave my babies crying either. Although, there has to be a compromise somewhere in there. I know you can do it! Hang in there......if only those babies came with instruction manuals it would be so much easier :-)

Anonymous said...

Try reading the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution" It is a great read and should help. Not that Avery sleeps through the night, but we still co-sleep. The book teachs a very gentle way of getting your baby to sleep at night. Also going cold turkey will not be good for your milk supply, and would probably make "the girls" quite uncomfortable. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks Beth... I'll give it a read. Last night was better. We made her bedtime later (8pm) and she woke up twice...1:30 and 5am and both times she nursed and then went back to sleep soon after in her crib. I did stay in there til she went asleep though. She has a bit of a cold I think and I didn't want her to cry and make her nose breathing even worse. She's an eater that one!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I liked the No Cry Sleep Solution too, but with Annalise I did let her cry! I was so tired that sometimes I couldn't hear her crying! My personal rule now is when you are sick of it, do whatever it takes to change it.

Sometimes I can't smell for a few days when I get a bad cold. I read that people who permanently lose their sense of smell eventually lose their appetite for food too!

Anonymous said...

Grandma Georgie once lost her sense of smell. The doctor gave her medicine that took away her sense of smell....at least I think it was the doctor. She used to go to the vet for medicine, in fact the whole town did for a time. :?)

Granny Pam

Anonymous said...

If you can't smell I food doesn't taste the same. Sounds like a good weight loss plan.

I didn't let Logan "cry it out" until he was old enough to not need to bf during the night. And I was desparate. He got to the point that he was up every hour until finally at 3 or 4am I would give up and let him sleep with me. Eric was in the guest room for months.
Sleeping Through the Night is another good book. Try the library.

On "The Doctors" recently they said that children who snore may need their tonsils out to prevent additional sleep problems, including apnea. Something to think about if Gwen is still a loud snorer in a couple of years.


L

Anonymous said...

We used a co-sleeper attached to the bed for the first 6 months for both my kids. At 4 and 6 years old they usually sleep through the night, but when they're sick all bets are off.

Unknown said...

I'm concluding from all of these comments that I might very well never sleep through the night again. :)

Olya said...

My first one slept through the night at 4 months I think. "through the night" for her meant eating around 11 Pm and then eating again at 5 am. At that time I read "Babywise" book. It worked at that time too.
With the twins....cannot remember anything... it was all a blurr... With my last one... all "trying to sleep through the night" and "let her cry" did not work at all because we have neighbors on all 4 sides. I COULD not let her cry for fear of our neighboors going crazy. (All the while I was the one going crazy for lack of sleep).
I think Stacey got ALL of her kids sleeping THROUGH the night at like 3 months ! or something like that. SO I hope she can give some good advice if she reads this post.
much love,
Me

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you read this blog, but this is a large family of 11 and how she does it: http://inashoe.com/2006/08/25/hes-sleeping-like-a-baby/

Hope that helps!