Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Audacity Of It All

Today is a historic day. I'm going to get a paper for Gwen tomorrow to keep. I know, you don't want to hear my political views or a rant... so I won't subject you to that. Here are some of my thoughts from the day though. I'm glad our country has gotten to this point where a black man can be President. I wonder what Martin Luther King, Jr. and Abraham Lincoln would say if they could see it. I think Obama is remarkably poised. I would be blubbering through the whole swearing in. I don't like calling it swearing in. It sounds like you are going to swear. I like this picture of Obama and his family. I wonder what it would be like to not drive for the next four years. I wonder what it's like to have secret service around all the time. George H. Bush.. what old man do you know that skydives? Can anyone say awesome? I wonder what Barbara Bush said to her son this morning. I wonder what George W. Bush said to his wife as they flew away in that helicopter. I heard a story on the news this morning that said when Reagan flew away in the helicopter he turned to Nancy and said "there's our old shack." He was a trip.

Today I was at the bank waiting for a "personal banker" (whatever that is) and an elderly gentleman walked over and admired Gwen. He asked me how old she was and how much she weighed at birth. He told me he was one of 6 kids... two boys and four girls. I asked what it was like growing up in a larger family and he said "well... I was born just 40 days before the stock market crash... and well, it was a different world back then." I would have loved to talked with him more but his notary person came over. What stories he must have.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I was very proud to be an American today....for many reasons! I love our new first famiy! Espaecailly those girls. I wondered the same things today about what they said to each other. It was great to see history today!

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.