Monday, December 08, 2008

A Hair Raising Scenario

Just to start out, this is an educational post. I went to the dermatologist this morning. Over the years I've been to many and they've given me thousands (ok, maybe 20) different shampoos and ointments and samples. You see, I have psoriasis of the scalp. This isn't contagious, but it is hereditary and I think I got it from my dad. For some reason doctors can't figure out, my immune system thinks there is something wrong and produces more skin than it should in certain areas on my scalp. Instead of making new skin every 28-30 days it's like 5-6 days. It's like dandruff except worse. There is no cure. Even me talking about it gives me the creeps. It showed up for me in 4th grade. I hope it never shows up for Gwen.

During pregnancy everything was hunky dory and it went away. Now that she's out of my body it has come back... and with a vengeance. Today the doctor prescribed some oil that I'm supposed to put on my head and wear a shower cap for three hours afterwards. Now, isn't that lovely and convenient? He also said that he's seen it where it can become like an armor on someone's scalp and their hair falls out. I asked him if that would happen to me and he said "there's no way to tell." NO WAY TO TELL????? Then I started thinking.... what would I do if THAT happened?

I've decided I'd get a wig. This is the one I've chosen for myself if that happens and I don't care if I'm 95.

9 comments:

Addie said...

I like this wig a lot, but another option would be to call Unlce Jon. He has a beautiful Cher wig, that Gwen seemed fond of! :-)

Unknown said...

so true! or should I say touche. (unintentional rhyme there)

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

It's very you, Meredith ;) I hope it doesn't happen though!!!

Lisa said...

1) I love the wig
2) I have that also....from my Dad also. It is not bad right now but I have had times when it would get really bad. Maybe it has to do with hormones...who knows. I hope the oil or shampoo works, if not, you have atleast picked a great wig!

Unknown said...

thanks for the moral support people. You complete me... jk... you know that line from that movie??

Stacey said...

That wig reminds me of your trip to Russia when Olya came back with red hair. Hmm.

I like the cut, but you just wouldn't look right unless you were blonde.

: )

Unknown said...

come on Stace... I can be edgy just like you brunettes! :)

Olya said...

Meredith, that wig is IN STYLE in RUssia right now! (It is so NOT '95 :-) Red "melirovaniye" (streaks) is hot! Or at least some people here think so. I had some cute highlights while we in TN, and I had to go back and get "colored" back into a boring brunnette per Adam's request. He said " There is no way you'll be able to upkeep those highlights in Russia. You know they'll turn your hair into something that looks like a calico cat" It was so true. I had my hair colored asking for some natural "warm honey" streaks but came out with read, purple, and blond patches. Needless to say I am back to my "coservative" look.
But YOU Would look great with a wig like that!!!

Olya said...

oops.. I totally missed that part about you being 95. Sure that wig is in style now because it is not from 1995! Duh... to myself