Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lessons Learned By The One Handed Typist

Is typist a word? Well, it sounds a bit better than typer. Here are some lessons I've learned six weeks into motherhood.

1. Always, I repeat, always have a change of clothes in your diaper bag as well as an old bread bag. We had an "episode of the bowels" one day this week. I had the bread bag, but didn't have the extra outfit.

2. Cutting a baby's fingernails is nerve wracking.

3. You can give your baby a bath every day and somehow their hands end up smelling like Cheez-Its.

4. My neighbor told me that at bath time I should wash of her gums with a damp washcloth. Somehow I missed that in the books.

5. It's in the small details that you just are nuts over your kid and if you explained it to anyone else they don't really get it. Mine are the way she looks when she just wakes up, the sound she makes while nursing (similar to a hum), and our game in the mornings of me putting a cover on her legs when she sits in her swing and I'm making breakfast. She kicks it off, I go over to her and in a sqeaky voice tell her that she is a funny girl, she smiles and tries to coo, and I cover her legs again and it starts over again.

I went back to my "fitness for two" class tonight and saw one of the other girl's baby. It was great. By the way, I'm no longer a celebrity in there. Oh well...

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Happy SIX weeks! It's quite an accomplishment! Boot camp is over :) I think things get easier between six weeks and teething.

I read the washcloth thing somewhere because I did it with both of mine before Rob took over bathtime rituals. Both of them seemed to like it!

Stephanie said...

Just a hint - keep a change of clothes and some extra diapers and wipes PERMANENTLY in the trunk of your car. Honestly, I used clothes that were out of season at times. You just never know when an "accident" will happen. Chloe rode home in nothing but a diaper once after I used everything I had to clean up the poop that was literately from head to toe after being at the park one day! Oh, the memories of motherhood :-) By the way, it does get easier the older they get.