Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Review of Cloth Diapers

In the last week I've tried several things in regard to cloth diapering. Here are my opinions if anyone out there is interested.

Bum Genius All-in-one diapers: They are fantastic and are my favorite. I only have one, but I plan on getting more.

Pre-folds like you can get at the store and many people use as burp cloths: Not my favorite because they are really bulky on newborns and using diaper pins makes me nervous.

Snappies- a little rubbery thing that holds diapers on: It's wonderful. I only have one, but I plan on getting more. Here's the website: www.snappibaby.com

Balmex Daily Skin Protectant: It's great and I use it when cloth diapering. My mom tipped me off to this product.

I bought two different kinds of flushable diaper liners. Diaper liners are a thin piece of paper like material you put into the diaper and it really helps with clean up. I am using Bio-soft Liners at the moment. They are a great size and soft. Their website is: www.bummis.com
I also bought ImseVimse kind of liners. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm having to cut them into fourths because they are so large. They also aren't as soft as the Bio-soft ones. Here is their website to check out: www.imsevimse.se

My homemade wipes are pretty good, but the solution makes them a little soapy, so I'm having to use a washcloth after I use one of those wipes. The wipes also get very cold. I'm thinking of getting a coffee thermos that you can push on the top to put warm water in there and have beside the changing table. My mother-in-law said I'm going to need another cabinet to put all this stuff in. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another cabinet??? How about another room? My suggestion is to forget the homemade wipes and use the bought ones, they are wonderful, convenient and you don't have to wash the baby AGAIN. You might as well just use the washcloth to begin with and save the trouble of homemade wipes if you insist on going that route.

Anonymous said...

You could just change the solution, play around with recipes. Also, do you have any friends with children who can give you an empty wipe container? That way you can buy one of those handy-dandy wipe warmers to keep yours in. I love that you're doing it this way! Convenience is often wasteful and toxic. Love, Amanda

John said...

Yeah, I tried homemade wipes a long time ago....but I really like the Huggies wipes.

I had a wipes warmer for Josh, but then I realized that the kid wouldn't be scarred just from a cool wipe down after a nasty poop....probably felt pretty good!

When the babes are tiny, I do try to hold the wipe in my fist for a sec to warm it a little....

Have fun figuring out how you like things....we are all different and uniquely qualified to raise our babies.....You are the best Mama for Gwen no matter what diapers you use!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Glad you have found some things that work for you. I have never heard of homemade wipes, or really even thought about what people used before you could buy them at Walmart. Flushable liners sould like a big help.
Laura

Stephanie said...

I agree with "John" - I loved Huggies wipes! They have the perfect solution and enough texture to wipe the poop off! I used plain old vaseline with my kids. Clay never had a diaper rash and the only thing that would keep Chloe's skin pretty and smooth. I never tried the wipe warmers because there were so many reports of fires?? Now you see why people with kids suddenly have so much stuff!!! Love you - Steph

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I've used the squeeze in the hand method of wipe warming too - my mom said my grandmother (my dad's mom) showed her that when I was a baby! Plus right we don't have any wipes in Miami, so I just use the plastic basin they gave me in the hospital to wash out a washcloth if there's a real mess. It won't be long before she won't have sooooooo many super-poopy diapers.

Oh and I know you'll appreciate this - the tiny cheapo washclothes (I think they're Gerber) that have no border, make fantastic handkerchiefs!