Sunday, May 18, 2008

Beth Bread and Baby Shower

Well... yesterday I made the Beth Bread I told you about. Honestly, I didn't think it turned out like the Beth Bread I remember. Maybe the starter isn't the right kind, maybe it was something I did. Sometimes you have to play around with a recipe to see how to make it just right. The loaves look pretty though I thought. :) Below is the recipe in case you want to try it on your own.

1 C starter (it's supposed to be a sourdough starter... I think I made a sweet bread starter, but it's almost the same... I think)
6 C bread flour (I used all-purpose.. you think that made the difference?)
1 1/2 C warm water
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C oil (I didn't have quite a half cup, so I put in some applesauce... do you think that made the difference?)
1 T salt
mix and knead lightly. Let rise overnight. In the morning, punch down, form 3 loaves, let rise all day. Bake 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from pans to cool, can top with butter.

Yesterday the girls from my choir gave me a baby shower. We had a really good time and ate some great food- spinach quiche, two kinds of scones, fruit salad, and cinnamon twists.

The girls in this first picture are Sarah (on left) who is a GREAT cook and singer and violin player and piano player. I ask her all the time how one person can do all of those things really well. Then me... is it just me or am I getting that pregnant lady swollen face thing? Then Paula who I sing next to in choir. She looks like Princess Diana I think and she is a very accurate and great singer. They are both very funny.


This is a picture of all of the girls. The girl on the far left is expecting too. She's having a little boy and she stands on the other side of me in choir.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Okay-I have to admit, your face is looking a little odd. Lucky for you, after giving birth it goes back to normal! I had a friend whose nose spread out when she got pregnant (all three times), then it went back to normal. And about the bread, I would say that all of the "I didn't have this, so I used this instead" probably had something to do with it turning out a little different. You kill me with what you do to recipes!! Love you!

Unknown said...

I normally do not do that to recipes... but I'm tired these days and had to substitute. Plus... try looking for bread flour in the stores.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

You do look kind of tired, but hey - you are NINE MONTHS PREGNANT!

I'm pretty sure that any baking recipe shouldn't be modified, or if so only very slightly. Other kinds of cooking aren't affected as much by substituting ingredients.