Here's how you make the starter:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 C warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 C all-purpose flour, divided
3 C white sugar, divided
3 C milk
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container (glass, plastic or ceramic- NOT metal) combine 1 C flour and 1 C sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 C milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
2. On days 2 through 4; stir starter with a spoon. (wooden or plastic spoon) Day 5; stir in 1 C flour, 1 C sugar and 1 C milk. Days 6 through 9; stir only.
3. Day 10; stir in 1 C flour, 1 C sugar and 1 C milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 C to friends along with your favorite Amish Bread recipe. (or store in freezer) Store the remaining 1 C starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2). (The refrigerator cup is if you want to continue having the starter around and feeding it)
Amish Friendship Bread Recipe
By the way, Amish Friendship Bread is a sweet bread... not like for making sandwiches. That's the "Beth Bread" kind. Amish Bread has a very unique taste that is a bit cinnamony and delicious!
1 C starter (after adding day 10 stuff)
1/2 C milk
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
In a separate bowl combine the following dry ingredients and mix well:
2 C flour
1 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 (5.1 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 tsp salt
1 C nuts (optional)
Add dry and wet ingredients. Mix and pour into two well greased and sugared bread pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
2 comments:
MMmmmmm, Meredith! It looks delicious. You are definitely nesting now, girl! :-)
Olya
I have never tried making my own from-scratch starter - I always have to wait for someone to give it to me before I can make the delicious bread. Sometimes I get so hungry for a certain variety of it that I actually find myself putting the word out and basically asking for some! =)
Anyway, thanks for posting this! I will definitely give it a try. I will also be posting two of my very favorite recipes that call for this starter on my LRE Blog - White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Muffins and Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake.
Post a Comment