
Today in church we sang the hymn "Jesus Paid It All" by Elvina Mable Hall. The words struck me this morning and I wanted to share them with you as well as some background info I looked up about this woman. She was 45 years old when she wrote this hymn in the middle of a service on the back of the flyleaf of her hymnbook. She gave the poem to the pastor (I wonder what he thought about her writing in the hymnal!) and it just so happens that the church organist had just written a tune that he didn't have words for yet. The pastor made the connection and put the two together. She was born on June 4th, 1822, (maybe my baby will have the same birthday!) and died July 18, 1889. That makes her... let's see... 67 when she died.
I hear the Savior say, "Thy strength indeed is small, child of weakness, watch and pray, find in Me thine all in all."
Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe; sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.
Lord, now indeed I find Thy pow'r, and Thine alone, can change the leper's spots and melt the heart of stone.
Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe; sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.
For nothing good have I whereby Thy grace to claim; I'll wash my garments white in the blood of Calv'ry's Lamb.
Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe; sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.
And when, before the throne, I stand in Him complete, "Jesus died my soul to save," my lips shall still repeat.
Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe; sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.
1 comment:
A funny thing about that song, at FBCCR they usually play it while the ushers bring the communion trays down to the front. So for the longest time I heard the tune and didn't know the words! I just really liked the sound. But finally someone actually sang it and the mystery was solved :)
Post a Comment