Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Quiet Times

The pastor at the church we've been attending gave an interesting idea for quiet times. He said that when he first became a Christian he really didn't know how to feed himself spiritually. He'd read the Bible and not fully understand or didn't know what passage to read when he'd sit down for his quiet time. I identified with that. I sometimes go through spells where I don't know what to read and when I do I find it hard to make practical applications. Well... I'm trying out his idea and I thought I'd share it with you all. Basically any passage, including lists of names that you wouldn't normally think would "speak" to you... have something to say about who God is! He set out to read 3 chapters a day, so he'd write three sentences for each chapter he read.

You read a passage and then you write down three sentences.

1. Historical- tell in one sentence what is going on in the passage.

2. Doctrinal/Prophetic- tell how this foreshadows Christ and His Kingdom.

3. Inspirational/Personal- tell how it personally applies to you or a prayer to the Lord.

"The entirety of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever." (Psalm 119:160 NKJV)

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I've been meaning to ask you, what church are you going to? - if you'd prefer not to answer on your blog, you can just email me.

Unknown said...

We're going to "Grace Church." You can see the link to the website of our church on our blog.