Monday, January 16, 2012

Crumpets

Here's a recipe I tried this week and enjoyed very much. In fact, we've frozen some and have been enjoying them every day. This yields 25 crumpets... but you won't be sorry. If you have never tried a crumpet, give it a try. It's like a yeast roll in pancake form. Oh, and this recipe is 2 points per crumpet for all you weight watchers out there no matter if you use skim milk (which I did) or if you use 2% milk.

3 packages active dry yeast
3/4 C warm water
3 tsp sugar
1 C warm milk
3 eggs
3 C all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
*nonstick spray or butter for pan

Mix yeast, warm water and sugar in glass bowl. Sit for 5-10 minutes to proof or poof up as I like to call it.
Into that whisk warm milk, flour, eggs and salt until no longer lumpy. Cover and let rise 30-45 min. (check after 25, but the more bubbles the better) Do not stir it after this rise. I made that mistake this time, but I think it would do better to just dish it out in the risen state. Cook on hot griddle or skillet.

No comments: