I do not claim to be the best cook ever, but I'd like it if one day my grandchildren could believe I am. I got a recipe from my good friend Leah for gingerbread. This is a special recipe because Laura Ingalls Wilder used it. (authoress of the Little House on the Prarie books) So I decided I'd make it. As I was taking it out of the oven I realized that I had left out one of the very important ingredients... molasses. So, the gingerbread was a big dry. I took a picture for your viewing pleasure. It's the DRY looking one. I gave it to the people at church. They seemed very happy with it. Then today I thought I'd try it again. Ben thought I was crazy, but I had to know what it was supposed to be like. This time I remembered the molasses and it is much better. I took a picture of it for you to look at the difference. It's the browner one. Since I know all of you are inspired now, I will give you the recipe. Don't forget the molasses!1C brown sugar
1/2 C shortening
1C molasses
2 tsp baking soda
1C boiling water
3C all purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 tsp of ginger, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs well beaten
Blend shortening and sugar together. Add baking soda to boiling water and mix well. Combine all dry ingredients and then add all wet stuff. Mix it up and put into 9X9 pan on 350 for 45 minutes. I used an 8X8 pan and it was fine. My mom suggested putting sliced bananas in the middle and then putting cream cheese icing on top. I didn't do that, but it sounded good to me.
3 comments:
You have totally inspired me to try this!!! I LOVE ginger bread. Do you know how to make ginger bread men? that would be fun! Maybe I'll try for thanksgiving!!!
Love you!
I'm not sure how to make gingerbread men, but I would suppose no eggs and more flour. Google it and you should find tons of recipes
They both look good Meredith! I wish I could have tasted it! I want to make some now.
Gingerbread men are made with the same ingredients, but as you said - more flour.
Post a Comment