Saturday, October 14, 2006

Habitat for Humanity

I volunteered to help Habitat for Humanity today. Somehow I overlooked the small but cricitally important detail that I would have to wake up at 6am this morning to meet our group at church at 6:30. After arriving bleary eyed on my scooter we set off to the building site in Liberty city (one of the roughest areas of Miami, Florida).

In case you don't know - Habitat for humanity is a Christian charity that builds houses for low-income people. With the sky-rocketing house prices in the Miami area in the last few years, it has become virtually impossible to find affordable housing which has made their work all the more important. They sell the houses to qualifying families at little or no profit (also subsidized with government grants).

About 100 volunteers from different churches around Miami showed up to help. We were able to meet the future owners of the homes and lunch was even provided!

I was on "insulation" all day, meaning that we were stuffing sheets of fiber glass ceiling insulation foam into the attic space of the house we were working on. It was pretty grueling being covered in dust, sweat and fiberglass but we were surrounded by encouragement and friends... and knowing that the home is going to someone that deserves it even made the itching on my arms tolerable!

No comments: