Thursday, January 07, 2016

Something I've Been Thinking About

Here's something I've been thinking about that I read the other day, wrote it down on a piece of paper, and have been carrying around in my pocket to think about.

This monk, Bernard of Clairvaux, wrote down 4 stages of Christian maturity

1. Love for the self for self's sake- it's that self-centered young faith

2.  Love of God for self's sake- stage where we expect God to do what we think is best.

3.  Love of God for God's sake- God is glorified for His own pleasure

4.  Love of self for God's sake- At this stage we now fully realize that we belong to the Father, and it is His desire that we love ourselves enough to become all that He intended us to be. 

I've been thinking of this because I think maybe comingling #3 and #4 might be the best of all.  I mean, Jesus said the two greatest commandments were to love the Lord God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength... but then the second... to love your neighbor as yourself.  So, I don't think loving yourself if usually the problem for most people.  Or maybe it is.  Maybe if you think of it as loving God so much that it just flows through you and out to others.  That's a better analogy for me.  Thoughts?

Oh, I turned 39 today.  I started my day praying about something and telling God "there's nothing too hard for you" while pacing the floor.  It turned out that God took care of this matter and yes, nothing is too hard for Him.  Thank you God that I've been here for all these years.  I hope I get to serve you a bit longer, but if you want to come, I'm ready anytime and I'll serve you there. 

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Happy Birthday :) I miss you friend!