Monday, November 02, 2015

Thorncrown Chapel


So I can't get this chapel out of my mind that I visited in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  It is called Thorncrown Chapel, and it was the dream of a man named Jim Reed.  In 1971 he purchased the land which is now the site of the chapel to build his retirement home.  People would come and admire the location and would stop at his property to look at the Ozark hills.  Instead of fencing people out, he did something else.  He invited them in.  He got a crazy idea that he acted on... to build a glass chapel.

Halfway through construction, funds began to run out.  The building came to a stop.  Jim thought he had made the biggest mistake of his life.  He tried to raise funds, but all his efforts failed.  Then one night he went out to the chapel for what he thought was the last time.  These are Jim's words:  "I am not proud of the fact, but the first time I ever got down on my knees was on the chapel floor.  I prayed more seriously than ever before.  All the trials and tribulations gave me the humility to get on my knees."  A few days later, a generous woman from Illinois provided a loan and so the dream was accomplished. 

I've been thinking of it because... just when we think we made a huge mistake can actually be a crossroad to seeing God in a bigger way... if we humble ourselves.  That's key don't you think?  There is something so sacred about this story for me.  Can you imagine sitting in a glass chapel while snow was coming down?  That might just be heavenly! 

No comments: