Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Poor


So here's a verse that has been spinning around in my mind and heart these past few weeks.

He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses. Proverbs 28:27


So I've been asking God what it is that He wants me to do.  So, I've been looking.  Looking for people to serve at Aldi, looking at the guy with the sign by the side of the road wanting lawn care jobs when all the lawns are burnt to a crisp here, looking at homeless men and women downtown.  I've been looking.  I still don't know exactly what's going on, but I've been able to sort some clothes, give a guy a job for a few hours and let a pregnant lady in front of me in line.  


I've been studying Nehemiah.  I want to know what I am doing on a daily basis matters.  I know raising children matters.  For some reason I feel moved to serve people that don't look like me.  I'm not talking racially here, I'm talking in all aspects. 


One thing I've been telling the Lord is "Lord, don't let me close my eyes to them... whoever they are." 


3 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

What good things to bring up. I am as guilty of this as the next person, but I sometimes feel like the church forgets how much Jesus asked us to remember the poor.

Stephanie said...

Have you listened to Casting Crowns newish song "Jesus, Friend of Sinners"? Kind of reminds me of your theme today.

Unknown said...

Yes, and I love that song.