Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Winter Goings On

Today I had a friend over to make these gingerbread men/women wreaths.  They are so cute.  Here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a go.  With the cinnamon added they really smell nice cooking.

Salt Dough

4 C all purpose flour
1 C salt
1 3/4 C warm water (I added more than that)
1/4 C cinnamon

300 degree oven.  Stir together flour, cinnamon and salt and gradually add water while mixing and kneading.  Roll out on floured surface and cut them out over lapping their arms and legs.  Use water to put their hands together and legs together.  (a dab)  I used egg white over them and then added sea salt so they looked sugared.  You could use sprinkles or anything else you wanted.  Bake for 1 hour and IMMEDIATELY take them off of the cookie sheet or pizza stone.  If you don't they will be like concrete on there.

Here's my wreath.


My friend Sarah. :)


Her wreath.


I had enough dough to make ornaments for Sunday School teachers or neighbors.

I've also been working on making a crafting area in my basement.  I've done some organization and it's getting there.


Before....ugh


after...so far...


I've also decorated my cabinets this year and have attached a thick ribbon onto the back of the cabinet doors to staple Christmas cards to.  I like it cause I get to look at the cards a lot.


I have done a little experiment for the past few days of absolutely no TV to see if the kids play with their toys more.  Lo and behold they do.  :)  Instead of TV we've been doing crafts and working on writing letters and playing and cooking together.  The quiet is refreshing.  I think it's a good exercise to do before Christmas.  It kind of gives you some quiet and you can listen to Christmas music or classical music and go about your business.

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I like your wreath very much! I feel pretty busy right now, otherwise I would really like to make one :)