Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Garden Talk and Saturdays

It is now butternut squash time at our house.  I'm going to make baby food out of it.  I was going to let them get a little bigger, but Ben accidentally picked them while mowing. :)  I think it will be fine.  I'm FINALLY getting some tomatoes too, but not like last year.  I'm learning something new every year about gardening.  I'm convinced that you have to garden for a long time to figure stuff out unless you've done it in your childhood years.  Last year's crop was tomatoes... wonderful tomatoes I had last year.  This year is the year of squash.  My carrots are pathetic, my cucumbers look like little mutant fingers (by the way, my neighbor has cucumbers the size of your arm), my green beans are in the middle of thousands of weeds and when I pick them there are about enough to hold in one hand.  You gonna boil some water for about 10 beans???  My cantaloupes keep getting eaten by bugs.  Oh, and the strawberries were good this year.  So... it's the year of strawberries and squash.  Next year I'm going to get some great stuff... you just watch!!


Here's Ben and Gwen playing around last Saturday morning.

5 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

That video is hilarious! If I show it to Caleb I bet he will start asking for a beanbag for his birthday!

My garden is limited to herbs (we did try to plant zucchini, but got nothing, not even one zucchini, just leaves) - anyway, last year it was all basil all over the place, I could have started a pesto factory, but this year the basil is just normal and the parsley is growing like crazy. I don't get it at all. Last year the parsley was just pitiful.

Anonymous said...

Mere, you should ask Ray about our first garden and the cucumbers. It was funny.

Granny P

Smilo said...

Mere,
I love the video and the blog.What a happy little girl!
Take Care

Unknown said...

Smilo... I'm glad you like it. :) It makes me happy when I don't just write things for myself to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Mere, why don't you send that video of Gwen and the beanbag chair into America's Funniest?

Granny P