Thursday, August 05, 2010

Books and Stories

Today we ventured out in the heat to go to Mike's.  It is basically a store full of junk and cheap books.  I go for the cheap books part.  It is amazing here in Alabama just how many stores they have like this.  In fact, I saw one the other day called "dirt cheap."  I'll have to go there next.  Well... anyway, back to Mike's.  The books are kind of willy nilly put here and there and you have to just look and pick out ones that look interesting to you.  I found the pearl in the oyster today folks.  When I saw this book I just HAD to buy it because it is so bizarre.  It was only a dollar and you know you all want to read it.





I've been reading "Chicken soup for the soul" here at my parents and about cry with each story.  They are so awesome!  Here's a quote I found true.  I've been looking around this week at just how many people are staring at their phones and computers... um.. I happen to be looking at one now, but still... and it bothers me some.  Anyway, here's the quote.

"Everybody is a story.  When I was a child, people sat around kitchen tables and told their stories.  We don't do that so much anymore.  Sitting around the table telling stories is not just a way of passing time. It is the way the wisdom gets passed along.  The stuff that helps us live a life worth remembering.  Despite the awesome powers of technology many of us still do not live very well.  We need to listen to each other's stories once again."  - Rachel Naomi Remen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a sign up this weekend on Hwy 204 that says "Confederate Reunion." I thought of you, because I know if you didn't have fussy kids you would stop and check it out.
Laura