Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Scripture Reading

I've been reading through Matthew and last night were the final chapters. I came across a verse that I've read before, but it astonished me anew last night. It's in Matthew chapter 27: 50-53 "and when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people."

So I asked myself why God would raise all those holy people back to life and don't you wonder if they knew why they had been raised to life? Maybe it's foreshadowing the second coming, maybe it's to show that death is not the final victor. Also, if Jesus died before the robbers, they would have seen the sky darken and the earth quake and all that. I wonder what they thought.

Next I'm reading Phillipians. I am the character Lydia coming up in our church's vacation Bible school. I'm going to dress up like her and say a speech to the kids. Now that I've read and studied the small bit about her I want to read Phillipians and see if I can imagine the Christians there meeting in her house. What have you been reading lately?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading 1 John lately. It is so good about encouraging us to lead a life that is in obedience to God's word.

Granny P

Ben Finch said...

I have been reading in James. I am workin on memorizing 1:2-4 ask me next week if i did it!!
is Gwen walking?

Unknown said...

I WILL ask you Joy! :) No, Gwen can't walk just yet. She can pull up and walk holding onto a toy or hands.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I'm still reading Proverbs one verse at a time and Exodus on the side. I think I'm getting more out of Proverbs though. I am afraid I am much more a fool than I thought!

I'm going to start going to the Mom's Bible study at CF tomorrow.