So I'm thinking today about what it means to raise a daughter. I was in the Goodwill store today looking around and as I was checking out the lady at the register was admiring Gwen. Today Gwen was wearing a little shirt and shorts. The lady said "oh, you're showing a bit of midriff there... you're getting so sexy... ooo... and laughed. I didn't laugh. In fact, my stomach lurched. I was thinking on the way home about what it means to be a girl in today's society. Girls especially in America are growing up way too fast and being sent all kinds of messages.
First of all, I do not like pageants. Second of all, I didn't watch the Miss America pageant, but I heard about it this morning on the news. It's getting to where the Christian views are looked at as "hate" instead of God's standard and best way to live. People in America are no longer thinking healthy debate is ok. It's got me riled up today.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I hear ya Meredith, it gets harder and harder to have a moral standard that differs from others without being considered ignorant or hateful.
I quit watching that stuff years ago. I am glad she took a stand and said what she did...but I wish she had been more eloquent and firm with it....so at least no one could make fun of her as 'sounding ignorant' with opposite, in my country, etc.....
You know something about raising a girl that I have been thinking about is shyness. I was a really shy kid and Annalise is not quick to warm up to people, so maybe she could be called shy too. I remember feeling like being shy was a bad thing, but from the perspective of having a daughter who could have her arms open to everyone, I see it differently now and think of it more as being demure...and I'm not all that eager for her to be rid of it.
I hear ya Stace... she wasn't exactly solid in her answer either.
Post a Comment